Monday, December 10, 2012

Minnows!

Isn't it fun to bring home something you caught yourself and watch it thrive? As a kid, I always enjoyed going to any body of water and looking for fish. However, from baout ages 5-8 I kept bringing more and more minnows home to keep in my fishbowl, and over and over they would die. Well I know now that it was because there was no circulation in my water. You want to know the secret of keeping minnows? CIRCULATE THE WATER! I found this out several days ago when I brought home minnow fry from my local pond. Determined to find out why they kept dying, I looked through several sites and finally found that they need a ton of oxygen in the water. I have my four little one-centimeter-each minnows in a 1.7 gal tank with a filter that I was afraid would suck them up of be too turbulent. But, it's working just fine and my little guys are doing just fine! Two of them are a centimeter, one is about a milimeter less, and one is about half a centimeter. I didn't expect the little bitty one, who I call Squidgy, to live, but he's been doing just fine as well. The two larger ones are absolutely thriving. I like my little set up- its a long, semi-bow-front aquarium and I didn't fill it up all the way, so the filter makes a regular little waterfall. I have a smaller plant and a larger plant in there, and it looks a little crowded but my minnows like to hide anyways. I have more of a white light on it then yellow, and the entire set up- with the waterfall and all- looks like a little piece of a mountain stream. But like I said, none of my four minnows are bigger then 1 cm so its not like their crowded.
   I've been feeding them crushed goldfish flakes and brine shrimp- I haven't seen them eat the brine shrimp yet, but I watched them suck up little goldfish flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment